Last Updated: 4th June 2020
Expert360 is owned and operated by Expert360 Pty Ltd (ACN 164 920 674) and its related bodies corporate ("Expert360", "we" or "us"). It comprises our online website made available at expert360.com and all associated Expert360 websites, microsites, databases, services, software and back end systems.
We collect a variety of information from visitors to our website and users of our software, some of which can be confidential. This policy explains the types of information we collect, how we collect it and what we do with that information (among other things).
- When do we collect personal information?
- What information do we collect about you?
- How do we use the information we collect?
- When might we disclose personal information?
- How do we protect the information we collect?
- How can you correct and update your information?
- Accessing your personal information
- Dealing with us anonymously or by pseudonym
- How to contact us
2. When do we collect personal information?
Visitors to Expert360's website and platform choose to interact with Expert360 in ways that require Expert360 to gather personal information. ‘Personal information’ is any information that could reasonably be used to identify you personally. The amount and type of information that Expert360 gathers depend on the nature of the interaction. We collect personal information in a number of ways, including:
- when you visit and interact with our website and related software (including any mobile applications);
- when visitors sign up for a client account, submit our "Contact" form, download content from our website, request a demo or sign up for our newsletter;
- when you engage in transactions with Expert360;
- when you submit your application to join as an Expert;
- through cookies and other technologies that allow us to give you a better experience on our website; and
- when you contact us independently of the website, such as by email, phone or in person.
Expert360 does not disclose personal information other than as described below. And visitors can always refuse to supply personal information, although it may prevent you from engaging in certain website-related activities and we may not be able to provide our services or assistance to you.
3. What information do we collect about you?
We try only to collect personal information about you that we need for the operation of Expert360 and our services, and to market and promote Expert360 and our services. The kinds of personal information that we collect and hold about you may depend on the circumstances in which the information is collected.
- if you are registered on Expert360 as a Client, then we will collect certain information about you for your account that will include your name, position, contact details and certain other information that you may wish to complete using the functionality available on Expert360;
- if you are registered on Expert360 as an Expert, then we will collect certain information about you for your profile that will include your name, contact details, qualifications and experience, and certain other information that you may wish to complete using the functionality available on Expert360 (eg. your bank account details). We will also collect reviews from Clients about your work on projects which will attach to your Expert360 profile;
- if you are an Expert engaged for a project through Expert360, then we may collect information required to engage and pay you as a contractor of Expert360;
- if you are a representative of a Client who has engaged an Expert on a project through Expert360, then we will collect information about your views and opinions on the performance of the Expert engaged for the project.
If we are not able to collect your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with access to Expert360 or our services or do business with you or the organisation with which you are connected.
3.2 Information you provide us
Any information that you provide via Expert360.com, our software or our contact numbers and addresses will be collected and stored by us. For example, we collect your email and other contact details when you subscribe to our email lists, download content or request a demo.
We may monitor and record calls and other electronic communications that you make to us in certain circumstances. For example, calls to us may be monitored and recorded for training and customer service purposes.
You may wish to provide us with personal information concerning certain other individuals when you use Expert360 or any of our services. For example, you may want to provide us with personal information about a colleague who may work with you on a particular matter that is registered on Expert360. If you provide us with information about any other individual, you must obtain that person’s permission to give us the information and inform them of this Policy.
3.3 Account and profile information
We collect information about you when you register for an account, create or modify your profile and/or set preferences. For example, you provide your name and contact information (such as email, phone number and work address) when you register with Expert360 as a Client or Expert. You also have the option of adding a display name, profile photo, job title and other details to your profile information to be displayed in our services on Expert360.com. We keep track of your preferences when you select settings within our services.
3.4 Content you provide through use of Expert360 and our services
We collect content that you post, send, receive and share when you use Expert360 and our services. Content also includes the files and links you upload to our services.
We also collect certain information about how you use our website and interact with any of our services on Expert360.com. This information includes the features you use and how you use them, projects you offer as a Client, applications to projects that you make as an Expert, messages between users, timesheets entered and approvals for timesheets and any feedback provided through the website. We also collect information about the teams and people you work with.
3.5 Content you provide through other websites we operate and/or manage
We use social networking services such as Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn to communicate with the public about Expert360. When you communicate with us using these services we may collect your personal information. The social networking service will also handle your personal information for its own purposes and under their own privacy policies.
If you provide personal information to any third party via Expert360 (for example, to a Client if you are an Expert), that information will be collected and managed by those third parties as well as by us. Such third parties may have their own privacy policies that set out how they collect and use personal information and you should ensure that you familiarise yourself with any such privacy policies before deciding whether you wish to provide them with your personal information.
3.6 Information you provide through our support channels
Our services include customer support, where you may choose to submit information regarding a problem you are experiencing with Expert360 or any of our software or services. You may be asked to provide contact information, a summary of the problem you are experiencing, and any other documentation, screenshots or information that would be helpful in resolving the issue.
3.7 Technical information we collect automatically when you visit Expert360.com or use our services
We collect information about you when you use Expert360, including browsing our website and taking certain actions within the services offered by Expert360.
For example, when you visit Expert360.com, we may collect information about your visit for statistical purposes, including your server / Internet Protocol (IP) address, the date and time of your visit, the pages you accessed and documents downloaded during your visit, the length of your visit, the country, state and city you are in when accessing Expert360.com, the previous page you visited, search terms that you have used to find Expert360.com from search engines including Google and Bing, if you’ve visited Expert360.com before and the type of browser used.
3.8 Information we receive from other users of Expert360 and third parties
Other users of Expert360 may provide information about you when they submit content through Expert360.com. Similarly, an administrator may provide your contact information when they designate you as a contact such as a billing contact on your organisation’s account. We also receive information about you from our third-party service providers such as advertising and analytics service providers.
If any links to third-party websites are included on Expert360.com, we are not responsible for the content or practices of these third party websites. Any links are provided for your convenience or by companies, businesses or other users of Expert360 for their own purposes, and do not represent our endorsement of any linked third party website. We recommend that you check the privacy policies of such third party websites before providing them with your personal information.
3.9 Information from cookies and other tracking technologies
We use a range of tools provided by third parties, including our web hosting company Amazon Web Services and Google, to collect or view website traffic information. These sites have their own privacy policies.
If you do not want information collected through the use of the technologies described in this section, there is a simple procedure in most Internet browsers that allows you to automatically decline many of these technologies, or to be given the choice of declining or accepting them. If you deactivate the setting of cookies in the Internet browser used, you will not be able to use our platform.
For more details about this type of data collection, please refer to our Cookie Notice.
4. How do we use the information we collect?
We collect your personal information in order that you may receive the benefit of our website and services. How we use information we’ve collected depends in part on how you use Expert360.
Below are the purposes for which we use the information we collect about you.
4.1 To establish, maintain and administer your account
We use information about you to provide Expert360.com and our services to you, including to process transactions with you, authenticate you when you log in, provide customer support, and operate and maintain Expert360.com.
Expert360.com also includes features that personalise your experience and improve your ability to collaborate effectively with other users. For example, we may use your job title, bio, work history and skills to match you to relevant opportunities on the Expert360 platform. We also use information about you to connect you with Clients seeking subject matter expertise. We may use your email domain to infer your affiliation with a particular organisation or industry to personalise the content and experience you receive on Expert360.com.
4.2 To deliver our services to you
Your personal information will be used by us to:
- Enable Experts and Clients to create your user profile and use our platform
- Conduct verifications of profiles, checking credentials, monitoring and reporting as permitted in the terms and conditions you have agreed with us or under any applicable laws
- Enable your organisation to promote their project opportunities to our Experts generally and respond to Expert responses
- Administer any project agreed between a Client and an Expert
- Administer payments from a Client for any services provided by Expert360 and an Expert; and
- administer payments to an Expert, including to comply with tax withholding and superannuation/pension fund remittance requirements.
Your personal information will also be used to enable more direct connectivity between Experts and Clients, and between Experts and members of the public.
- As an Expert, the visibility of certain personal information included in your professional profile to Clients will depend on the extent to which you have opted in to share your personal information via your account settings.
- As part of the services, Expert360 offers a profile feature that allows portions of an Expert’s profile to be showcased more widely. Portions of your profile may be displayed on our public website and portions will be indexed and displayed through public search engines such as Google when someone searches for your name, and allow them to click through to your Expert360 profile. You may opt out of this feature entirely in your account settings. If you opt out, you should be aware that third-party search engines may not automatically update their caches, which may contain old public profile information.
4.3 To communicate with you about Expert360 services
We use your contact information to send transactional communications via email, including conducting verifications of profiles, checking credentials, responding to your comments, questions and requests, providing customer support, and sending you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and administrative messages. These communications are part of our services and in most cases, you cannot opt out of them. If an opt-out is available, you will find that option within the communication itself or in your account settings.
4.4 To promote and market Expert360, our services and our websites
We may use your identity, contact and profile information and usage data to form a view on what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This is how we decide which services, events or offers may be relevant for you.
You will receive direct marketing communications from us if you have requested information from us or if you provided us with your details when you registered with us, downloaded articles or completed a survey and, in each case, you have not opted out of receiving that marketing. We may contact you to let you know about our services, new features and how they may benefit you, solicit your feedback, or just keep you up to date with what's going on with Expert360 and our products.
Where we use your personal information to send you marketing information by email, SMS, MMS or other electronic means we may do so with your express or implied consent. You may give us your express consent by, for example, ticking a box on an electronic form or signing a paper form. Consent may be implied from our existing business relationship or where you have a reasonable expectation of receiving electronic marketing communication.
You may opt-out of receiving marketing information from us by using the unsubscribe link within each email or by contacting us as provided in Section 10 below to have your contact information removed from our email subscription list or registration database.
4.5 To maintain and improve Expert360 and our services
We are always looking for ways we can improve Expert360 for our customers. We use data analytics and feedback provided directly to us to troubleshoot, identify trends and usage patterns, identify ways in which we can improve our website, products and services, marketing, client relationships and experiences.
We collect and analyse information on an anonymous or non-attributable basis to allow us to gain insights into the behaviour and business practices of users. Much of this information will help us to provide useful information and advice to companies, contractors and others of behaviours in relation to the white-collar gig economy.
4.6 To meet our legal and regulatory obligations and protect our legitimate business interests and legal rights
Where required by law or where we believe it is necessary to protect our legal rights, interests and the interests of others, we may use information about you in connection with legal claims, compliance, regulatory, and audit functions, and disclosures in connection with the acquisition, merger or sale of a business.
4.7 To promote safety and security
We use information about you and your use of Expert360.com and any other of our services to verify accounts and activity, to monitor suspicious or fraudulent activity and to identify violations of this Policy.
4.8 To undertake activities for which we have obtained your consent
We use information about you where you have given us consent to do so for a purpose not listed above. For example, we may publish testimonials or feature your profile or customer stories to promote Expert360, with your permission.
+For EU users – Legal bases for processing
If you are an individual residing in the EU, we collect and process information about you only where we have legal bases for doing so under applicable EU laws. The legal bases depend on how you use Expert360 and the services you use. We collect and use your information only where:
- we need it to provide our services, including to operate Expert360.com, provide customer support and personalised features and protect the safety and security of Expert360.com;
- it satisfies a legitimate interest (which is not overridden by your data protection interests), such as for research and development purposes to maintain and improve Expert360 and our services, to promote and market Expert360 and to protect our legal rights and interests;
- you give us consent to do so for a specific purpose for example where you subscribe to our e-newsletter or request or download our publications; or
- we need to process your data to comply with a legal obligation.
If you have consented to our use of information about you for a specific purpose, you have the right to change your mind at any time, but this will not affect any processing that has already taken place. Where we are using your information because we or a third party (such as your employer) have a legitimate interest to do so, you have the right to object to that use though, in some cases, this may mean no longer using Expert360.com.
5. When might we disclose personal information?
Expert360 may disclose your personal information to other entities or individuals to facilitate the purpose for which information was collected. Such entities and individuals include:
- our Clients or Experts, as the case may be. If you are an Expert, we may disclose your personal information including contact details to a Client and if you are a Client, we may disclose your personal information including contact details to an Expert, but only when such disclosure is in relation to progressing an application for the Expert to provide services to the Client, or otherwise where you have given us permission to make the disclosure to the other person;
- our contractors, agents and third-party service providers for the purpose of enabling them to provide a service such as (but not limited to) IT service providers, analytics & reporting, data storage, web-hosting and server providers, debt collectors;
- such third parties as expressly permitted in our terms and conditions with Clients and Experts (as applicable);
- governmental or regulatory authorities having jurisdiction over Expert360 or any of our services;
- a third party payment processor if you conduct any transaction that requires a payment by you, some of your details may be provided to allow the transaction to be completed; or
- any person if you have given your express consent to the disclosure.
Those entities and individuals will be permitted to obtain only the personal information necessary to deliver the service. Expert360 takes reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations and individuals are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your personal information.
+For EU users – Transfers outside the EU
If Expert360, or substantially all of its assets, were acquired, or in the unlikely event that Expert360 goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, user information would be one of the assets that are transferred or acquired by a third party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur and that any acquirer of Expert360 may continue to use your personal information as set forth in this policy.
6. How do we protect the information we collect?
We use data hosting service provider, Amazon Web Services, in Australia to host the information we collect, and Expert360 takes all measures reasonably necessary to protect against the unauthorised access, use, alteration or destruction of personal information.
Although we aim to create a safe, secure environment by trying to limit access to the website to legitimate users, no security system is impenetrable and due to the inherent nature of the internet we cannot guarantee that data, during transmission through the internet or while stored on our systems, is absolutely safe.
7. How can you correct and update your information?
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, we also rely on you to advise us of any changes to your personal information by maintaining and updating your profile.
Please contact us using the contact details below as soon as possible if there are any changes to your personal information or if you believe the personal information we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up-to-date so that we can update your file accordingly.
8. Accessing your personal information
You may review, edit, correct or delete any personal information you submit to us at any time. You just need to log into your account to do this.
You may access personal information we otherwise hold about you. Access to your personal information may be denied on certain grounds including, for example: it is unlawful; it may have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of other individuals; or your request is frivolous or vexatious. If we deny you access we will provide our reason for doing so at the time of your request.
If you wish to access the personal information we hold about you or request correction of it, you should contact the Privacy Officer on the details below who will respond to your request within a reasonable period after the request is made.
+For EU users – your rights
If you are an individual residing in the EU, you have the right under the General Data Protection Regulation to request from Expert360 access to and rectification or erasure of your personal information, data portability, restriction of processing of your personal information, the right to object to processing of your personal information and the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
To request access to or rectification, portability or erasure of your personal information, or to delete your Expert360 account, please contact us using the details provided below. If you live in the EU and you wish to exercise your right to restriction of processing or your right to object to processing, contact us using the details provided below.
9. Dealing with us Anonymously or by Pseudonym
In order for us to successfully do business with you it will not, in most circumstances, be practical for us to deal with you without you providing relevant personal information to us. However, where it is lawful and practicable to do so, you may deal with us anonymously or by using a pseudonym.
10. Contact us
Please contact us at our offices via the contact details provided below if you want to:
- obtain further information about the way we manage your personal information;
- access your personal information held by us;
- raise a concern or make a complaint regarding how we collect or handle your personal information;
- correct or update your personal information held by us; or
- unsubscribe from any Expert360 mailing list or have any questions or complaints regarding unsolicited electronic communications that you may have received or are concerned about.
Please contact us immediately if you become aware of any unauthorised use of your account by anyone else or any other breach of security.
Attention: Privacy Officer,
Expert 360 Pty Ltd
PO BOX R219, Royal Exchange
Sydney NSW 1225
Telephone: 1300 482 671
E-mail: [email protected]
Need more information on privacy?
For more general information regarding privacy in Australia, visit the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au).